Wednesday, June 07, 2017

This stupidity is a crime

Well, I had no more than created my last post when I was already out purchasing more movies for my stupid movie collection.

One of the first things I did was to get the Iron Fist Frenzy 50 movie pack.  In the last post, I mentioned the 'Kickin' It Shaolin Style'.  This was basically 1/4 of the Iron Fist Frenzy.  I started figuring out that the cost of picking up the other 3 sets was probably going to be more than just getting the Iron Fist Frenzy set and getting two extra movies to boot.  So I got a good deal on Iron Fist Frenzy eBay using the Best Offer option.

 The next set I got because the wife was at half Price Books in Hamilton and saw a couple of sets while she was perusing the DVD section.  One of them was a Mill Creek collection which was 20 movies from the Warriors 50 pack I already had.  The other was a 12 movie pack called the 'Samurai Warriors Collection'.  At first I figured that it was probably going to just have movies either from the Martial Arts 50 movie pack or from Iron Fist Frenzy.  But when I started researching, I figured out that 1) it was wasn't a collection from Mill Creek, and 2) there was very little overlap with my other martial arts collections.  'Woo hoo!  Pick it up!' I told my wife. And she did 'cause she's awesome like that! The transfers in this collection seem to be pretty decent, but the packaging is just awful.  It's basically a piece of folded cardboard with slits that the DVDs sit in.  At least Mill Creek makes individual cardboard cases for each disc. I've relocated the DVDs in this collection to some old Microsoft sleeves to better protect them.

About that time, there was another 50 movie pack that had no overlap in my collection called Frontier Justice that I purchased on eBay.  More on that later.

Then I started looking farther down on my lists of sets.  The next candidate was a set called Crime Classics.   I picked that up on, you guessed it, eBay.  This set had only 10 movies that overlapped with my collection.  I got an ok price on this one if I remember correctly.  It's kind of the sister set to the Dark Crimes 50 movie pack I already have.  Not sure which one came out first, though just based on it's simple name, I'd guess that Crime Classics came first.  As far as I can tell, this Mill Creek collection never got a plastic case release; only a cardboard case like the original Tree Line and early Mill Creek sets.


Then things went a little sideways.  In my research, there are some 50 movie packs which I already own 85% of (ie, I already have 35 of the movies).  For some reason, I got it in my head that there were some older 20 movie packs which might be able to fill in the gaps instead of having to purchase a 50 movie pack (at a 50 movie pack price).  I didn't get very far in researching this, but did stumble upon one collection called 'Billy the Kid' which was a 20 movie collection of Billy the Kid movies.  I picked this up on eBay for a cool $4 and it contains 14 movies which are new to my collection.  Yee haw!

So, what about the Frontier Justice set.  Well, things got a little complicated.  The seller sent me a DVD set but not the one that I wanted.  I'd like to have 4 Laurel and Hardy movies, but I really wanted to have the 50 movie set that I ordered.  So I opened up a ticket with eBay and promptly sent back the erroneous collection with word that another person got my order and was shipping it back to the seller the next day.  So, I waited.  After a week I sent an email letting them know that per USPS they received the DVDs I sent back and wanted a status on if the other person shipped back my DVD set. Another week went by with no reply from the seller.  I sent another email asking for status.  And more crickets.  So I had to escalate to the eBay Police who within 10 hours (while I slept) got my money refunded.  So, I should have had the set, but things didn't work out.  I truly believe the seller had the collection and simply sent it to the wrong person.  And maybe the other person who got my order just held on to it, or hasn't shipped it yet ('cause they wanted to rip the movies first) or it got damaged or lost in the mail.  I dunno.  But I hold no ill will to the seller.  Stuff happens. And after more than 100 eBay transactions over the years, this was the first one which went wrong, so, I'm okay with that since I got my money back (sans the return shipping price since I did that outside of eBay's return system).

So, yeah, another (50 + 50 + 20 + 12 =) 132 movies for my stupid movie collection.  I'm sure there will be more in my future, but I think I've got enough for the moment.  Plus, I need to leave some collections for other people to buy me for various holidays which might involve presents for me!

Take care everyone!  Hope you all are doing well!

--------------:D



No comments: