Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Bizzy Bee

I was a busy little bee this past weekend. With Norah's 1st B-day party coming up, the outside really needed to have some work done. I've neglected it for the past couple of years and it needed an overhaul. So, on Friday I called up Ohio Mulch and ordered 60 bags (yeah, sixty) of cypress mulch (the big 3 cu. ft. bags at that). They arrived Saturday morning on 2 pallets. I should have taken a picture, but I didn't. *shrug* So Saturday I spent about 7 hours outside weeding, trimming, edging and mulching the front. There were alot of weeds, let me tell you, but I pulled them all out one by one. The front used 13 bags of mulch.

On Sunday, I had a little bit of time, so I weeded the deck. Sound strange? Well not really. You see, the original owners had a big concrete slab out back, but they decided they needed another 2 ft of space all the way around, so they basically put up some railroad ties and bricks and extended it out. So what happens is that weeds like to grow in the sandy base and between the bricks. So what one has to do is, well, weed the deck. My tool of choice is an old cutting knife that's been in the family at least 30 years (well, it's so dull now it doesn't cut anything). I basically would put the blade between the bricks and extract the ugly weeds. The funny thing is that my body hurt more doing that for and hour and a half than it did from the 7 hours the previous day. Weird.

Then me, the wife and the little one went back home to Anna and celebrated Father's Day and my mom and my sisters birthdays. It was nice to see them.

And that was my weekend. I still have alot of yard work to do. I still need to weed, edge and mulch under one of the trees out back. Then the weeding, edging and mulching of the LARGE section in the back. That is where the majority of the mulch is going. I'm thinking it will take 40 bags, but even now, I'm concerned that I might not have enough, especially if I am trying to put down the correct amount of mulch (ie, 2 to 3 inches deep, like I did out front). And there is a little section with 3 bushes in it that, as you guessed, also needs weeded, edged and mulched. I'd still like to even up thr bricks on the deck. After a few years they tend to dip towards the edges. When I do that, I'll probably also lay down some plastic under this bricks in hopes that it will cut down on the number of weeds that take root. That's the hope at least.

How was your weekend?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm VERY VERY VERY proud of you Darrin.

love,
your wife