Sunday, June 11, 2017

Record shows are cool (or Justice has been served)

Yesterday I went back to my old stomping grounds of Columbus Ohio and went to the Colleen's Collectables Record show which has been going on for decades.  The went to my first one with Todd and Ian in 1992 I think and it was at the Veteran's Memorial building in the main section.  It was crazy huge and crazy packed and it was awesome.  Fast forward to June 10th 2017 (hey, it's my 25th anniversary of going to record shows!) and the record shows are a little smaller and held at the Haimerl Center on Morse Road but they are still awesome.  With the resurgence of vinyl, they probably could get a bigger place but they've been holding them at the Haimerl for probably 10 years so why change something which works. 

I met Todd at the show we chatted briefly before going on our individual hunts.  Todd was looking for Concrete Blonde's Bloodletting on vinyl while I was on the hunt for Bobby Sherman's self-titled first album and the 6-sided die-cut soundtrack for the movie 'The Andromeda Strain'.  I was about 3/4 the way through the show and fully in the zone, blinders on, not seeing anyone in my path really, just records. I walked up to one of the tables and starting perusing the CDs that a seller had out (along with some LPs) when the seller said 'I wouldn't look too closely, so of those might be yours'.  I looked up and wouldn't you know it, there was Ian.  He was peddling his goods (as he has on several occasions in the past) at today's show.  So all three of us were back at the show again!  I ended up buying the Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe CD from him.  Good stuff from some people who were members of Yes at one time or another.

My haul consisted of the following:
LP - Bobby Sherman - Bobby Sherman (I got it in MINT condition.  Awesome!)
LP - Styx - The Grand Illusion
LP - The Alan Parson's Project - I Robot
LP - Jonathan Edwards - Honky-tonk Stardust Cowboy
LP - Elvis - Moody Blue (on clear blue vinyl!)
LP - Elvis - Elvis' Christmas Album (on the budget Pickwick label. I grew up with this one!)
LP - Ted Neely - 1974 A.D. (portrayed Jesus in the movie Jesus Christ Superstar)
LP - Jesus Christ Superstar movie soundtrack (See what I did there?  Came from the same seller.  $2!)
CD - Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe - Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe (from Ian!)
CD - Queen - Greatest Hits I & II

After the Show, Todd and I went to B.C. Roosters and got some chicken and talked for a couple of hours.  After that we went to the Ohio Thrift Store and wandered around for a hour, Todd of course taking several photos of items that were too bizarre to believe.  Good times and conversation!

I then went and had dinner with my friend Kevin at Potbelly.  we talked for about 3 hours, closing the place down.  More good times and conversation!

Then I drove my butt back to Cincinatti to my wife who was waiting up for me so she could see my haul from the record store. 

What a great day!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

In other news: In the previous post I mentioned how I was planning on getting a 50 movie pack called Frontier Justice but that the seller sent the wrong item and I couldn't get an answer from them about if or when then were going to be sending me my set.  So, after 2 1/2 weeks of crickets from the seller I put in a refund request with eBay and it was granted.  This was on Wednesday.  So on Friday, I get this email from eBay: 'Your package has been delivered' and this was confusing because I hadn't purchased anything else.  So I clicked on the link in the email and it referenced the order which I had been refunded for.  It was a new tracking number and everything.  Sure enough, when I got home, there was my Frontier Justice box set.  So now I have the box set but really haven't paid for it (well, other than the $2.63 cents that I paid to ship back the wrong item.)  After much deliberation, I decided that I would pay  the seller the remaining money due for the purchase.  It just seemed like the right thing to do.  I don't need the bad karma. While their communication could use a great deal of work, the seller, at the very least, did provide me the product which I paid for.  And for that, they deserved to get paid.  Justice has been served and I have 50 more movies to add to my stupid movie collection.



Thanks for reading.  Hope all is well with everyone.

Later!

-------------:D

No comments: