Monday, June 30, 2008

Painting done... yay!

I managed to get one coat o purple done on Thursday and then another coat done Friday night. On Saturday morning the Mrs and lil N went to a play date, so I took up all the painters tape. Overall, I'm happy with how it came out. There were only a few spots that I wish I could have done better, but oh well, unless you're looking to nit pick, it looks great. :)

We removed the closet door since it is a pinching hazard. So, once the Mrs got back home, we determined where the curtain for the closet needed to be. After that, I went out and picked up a couple of outlet covers, a white vent cover and a white tension rod. Two, actually, but one wasn't going to work because 1) it looked almost like a light blue and two it wasn't a tension rod, but an adjustable rod but it was expecting the installer to screw it into the wall, which I wasn't doing to do. Actually, the wife had picked up a closet rod hanger, so in fact, the tension rod won't have any tension on it at all. I made a slight boo boo on the paint when I actually applied and then took away the tension rod since the paint hadn't completely set. The paint tried to stick to the little rubber ends. Oh well. The paint actually stayed in place because I noticed before I yanked it away from the wall.

Oh, I also replaced all the outlets and switches with white ones since the original ones were the cream color, but the trim and the furniture is white... hence why I needed to go get outlet covers. I also put back up the blinds and the curtain rods on Saturday.

Yesterday (Sunday), we went out ad found some self adhesive carpet squares to replace the carpet that was in the closet. I yanked out all the tack board. I'm pretty sure that the carpet in there was the original from 1979 when the house was built since there were no other holes in the sub floor from the tack board or from the 'padding' that they had stapled onto the floor.

I also put together the tall chest of drawers. That took me about and hour and a half. Not bad considering that over half of the pieces weren't marked. Luckily, Sauder is very good with their parts inventory, even showing all of the individual holes in each piece of wood, which is a saving grace when you don't have the little stickers on them.

So, now I need to steam clean the carpet and then I can put together the long chest of drawers and, well, that'll be it with the exception of putting up pictures and figuring out if we're gonna put lil N in a crib, a toddler bed or a twin mattress on the floor.

I almost made the July date that I set for myself. Shoulda been done alot sooner, but I had a big gap between getting all the furniture moved out and just plain getting started.

No comments: